Senior Policy Analyst
Senior Policy Analyst. Demos seeks a Senior Policy Analyst who will provide research and writing on, and analysis of, democracy and democratic participation, money in politics, and other strategies and reforms geared toward expanding the voice and power of the New American Demos – people of color, young people, single women, and working-class people of all races. Work of the Senior Policy Analyst will include demographic analyses of registration and voter turnout, statistical and qualitative analyses of electoral outcomes, and analyses of voting reforms and democracy policies, as well as supporting internal advocacy strategies and external partnerships on democracy issues.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Research and write in-depth reports as well as policy briefs and other documents on politics and democracy issues, including voting trends, electoral strategies, money in politics, and more.
- Generate data from large publicly available data sets including the American National Election Studies, the General Social Survey and the Cooperative Congressional Election Survey and others, and oversee data collection by outside contractors as needed.
- Author commentary and analysis and represent Demos externally on democracy policy issues.
- Work closely with local, state, and federal advocates to support advocacy and strategy for growing and accelerating the electoral impact of the New American Demos.
- Cultivate productive relationships with important contacts in various state and federal agencies, elected offices, grassroots movements, advocacy organizations, and academic institutions.
- Develop research and findings in dialogue with state and local stakeholders and grassroots partners.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and qualities:
- Data Expertise. You have excellent data generation skills in using large data-sets, including experience using one of the major election-related surveys. You hold an advanced degree in political science, public policy, or a related field—or equivalent experience and mastery in statistical analysis and data skills.
- Writing. You have excellent writing and analytical skills as evidenced by published writing samples across formats including opinion pieces and research reports.
- Working for Racial Equity. You consistently integrate your deep understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects.
- Democracy issue fluency. You have a strong familiarity with democracy-related issues (specifically voting trends, electoral analysis, and structural democracy reforms). You are familiar with other organizations in the democracy field and in racial justice work.
- Team oriented. You work effectively in a team environment accomplish organizational goals.
The most successful candidates will have some of the following skills and qualities:
- Experience with print and broadcast media.
- Proven experience working in a public policy organization, an advocacy organization, or a related environment.
Candidates must bring a commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time and based in New York City. Some travel is required.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $75,000- $90,000 and is commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package that includes health insurance, dental and vision insurance, 10 paid holidays, 18 vacation days per year, 5 floating holidays per year, paid time off Dec. 25- Jan. 1, 12 sick days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403(b) plan.
How to Apply: Upload a thoughtful cover letter, résumé, and relevant writing sample (10 pages or less, please).We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.