Associate Director, Media Strategies
Associate Director, Media Strategy. Demos is looking for a savvy media strategist to develop, design, and lead our media strategy. The Associate Director of Media Strategy will work across the organization to generate maximum visibility for Demos’ work and its experts with an eye toward deploying the most-advanced methods of breaking through in an increasingly noisy media landscape. The ideal candidate always has their finger on the pulse of the news cycle, has proven skills in cultivating deep relationships with journalists, and has the instincts needed to provide strategic guidance on how to give research, campaigns, and people the best possible exposure at the right time. Candidates should demonstrate the ability to craft compelling messages for different audiences, proven success implementing creative media plans, and experience managing staff in a fast-paced environment.
The successful candidate will join a Communications team that places high value on diversity, creativity, collaboration, and fun and is committed to distributed leadership. This position reports to Demos’ Director of Communications.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Media relations: As a media relations strategist for Demos, you offer long-range communications ideas that will help Demos achieve its mission. You lead media planning and top-line message development for Demos’ programs, projects, and spokespeople. You also provide regular analysis of Demos’ media landscape, engagement, and impact to help further communications strategy for the organization.
You manage media outreach for all major initiatives and spokespeople, draft, review and/or edit key messages and media materials; direct media pitching, draft or contribute to briefing memos for interviews, and provide actionable ideas for social media engagement. You are responsible for fielding and tracking media requests and speaking inquiries. You also manage and/or staff high-level media interviews, draft, edit and/or disseminate media releases, OpEds and statements, and conduct follow-up as needed.
Message development: In this role you help develop message guidance for Demos’ campaigns and initiatives. You work across the organization and with external partners to develop written content ensuring that message points are used consistently throughout the organization and among partners whenever possible.
Fundraising, budgeting, and financial management: You work with the Director of Communications to create an annual media relations budget based on the strategic goals of the organization and the strategic priorities of the Communications team, taking responsibility for managing the budget, which includes ad spending.
Team leadership: Working closely with the Director of Communications, you work as a thought partner and leader to help provide clear goals and directions for the collective work of the team, and at the individual staff level. You assist the Director in addressing team morale issues. As requested, you represent your team in internal or external meetings on behalf of the Director.
Staff supervision: You check in with direct reports regularly to ensure clarity on goals, to develop space for feedback, and to support staff development. With appropriate input from HR and your Director, you lead on hiring processes for roles you will directly supervise. You are aware of and model organizational policies, practices, and values to your team and supervisees.
Working for racial equity: Along with all of the above, you consistently integrate your deep understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects.
Other responsibilities as requested.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following experience and skills:
- Proven ability to develop and design media relations strategy: You have a successful track record of envisioning, developing, and implementing comprehensive communications plans, message guidance, and media strategies to grow an organization’s influence and impact and leverage media opportunities at key moments.
- Superior writing ability: You are a talented writer who is skilled at translating complicated ideas into more accessible content and you know how to craft a compelling narrative.
- Leading on racial equity: You have a sophisticated understanding of how racialized dynamics impact staff and supervisory relationships, organizational culture, partnerships, campaigns and coalition work, and can demonstrate a history of successfully intervening in problematic dynamics and deepening a racial justice approach within an organization, team, or campaign.
- Skilled at managing staff and workflow: You have experience managing staff and can plan and coordinate workflow for yourself and for supervisees. You are able to successfully manage multiple projects, have a strong sense of ownership, consistently meet deadlines and motivate others to do the same. You are a systems thinker with attention to detail, high standards for work products and for relationship management. You like setting ambitious goals and bring rigor to your work and management.
The most competitive candidates will demonstrate several of the following skills and experiences:
- Experience in an agency or newsroom environment: You can work calmly and effectively in a fast-paced environment and can make sound decisions during quick-moving situations.
- Issue fluency in our core issues: You have experience with at least one of Demos’ core issues: democracy reform, which includes campaign finance and voting rights, and race forward economic opportunity, which includes college affordability, and workers’ rights.
- Ability to quickly gain deep issue fluency: You have a demonstrated ability to quickly gain fluency in new topics and policy areas.
- Bilingual and/or bicultural: You bring bilingual language skills and or bicultural fluency into your work.
- Familiarity with one or more of the following workflow and relationship management tools: DARCIs or MOCHAs; Asana, Base Camp, TaskRay, Evernote, Sales Force; and an interest in detail-oriented systems.
- Sense of humor: You bring rigor and high standards, as well as levity and a sense of humor and to your relationships with colleagues and team members.
The Associate Director of Media Strategy position is full-time and based in either New York City or Washington DC.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $85,000 to $100,000 and is commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package which includes health insurance, dental and vision insurance, 10 paid holidays, 18 vacation days per year, 5 floating holidays per year, paid time off Dec. 25- Jan. 1, 12 sick days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
How to Apply: Upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter. We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Demos is an Equal Opportunity Employer: People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.