Director of Communications
Director of Communications. We are looking for a creative leader, excellent manager, and brilliant strategist who can lead a team of communications professionals with specialized expertise in earned, print, digital, and social media, graphic design, and messaging and who have a shared dedication to elevating the goals, people, and visibility of Demos. In this role you will grow Demos’ reputation as an institutional powerhouse that develops, elevates, and mainstreams ideas that disrupt systemic racism, build power, and advance ideas that address the biggest challenges facing our nation today. This position will report to Executive Vice President, Strategy and Programs and will work closely with the president, our issue experts, thought leaders, and partners.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and drive a comprehensive communications strategy based on the strategic priorities of Demos;
- Bring sophisticated framing and messaging skills and tools to our core areas of our work, through the primary lens of advancing racial equity and dismantling systemic racism;
- Deliver strategic, actionable communications guidance, as part of Demos’ leadership team, that advances the organization’s goals and enhances its reputation;
- Lead and manage the Communications team, vendors, and consultants, as well as provide sound stewardship of the department’s budget and maintain ongoing evaluation and reporting on key benchmarks;
- Identify new strategies and innovative tools for injecting our ideas into the public debate in ways that amplify our work, increases our visibility, and influences the public narrative;
- Be the leading institutional voice on the Demos brand, voice and work of the teams;
- Work with organizational partners to strategically align our goals to create an echo chamber for key messages and ideas.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Ability to lead and manage a team. You know how to lead a team, manage tough situations, encourage innovation, and work within an organization to set a vision and execute it effectively. You know how to achieve your goals in collaboration with others and are skilled at nurturing talent and supervising staff. A sense of humor are a plus.
- Excellent strategic thinker and movement orientation. You pay close attention to what’s happening in the news, the movement, and the ecosystem and use those influences to help lead the strategic development of our communications work for maximum impact. You can navigate the terrain of being a non-partisan and credible think-tank while advancing strong progressive values and policies. You also understand the communications plays in agenda setting and can work effectively with grassroots partners and advocates at the state and national level; you understand the importance of, and have experience with, building respectful relationships with other progressive organizations, advocates and leaders in one or more areas of Demos’ work.
- Ability to Lead Efforts to Advance Racial Equity. You are committed to leading on racial equity with Demos and our external partnerships, with a sophisticated understanding of how structural racism, white supremacy, and anti-blackness influence supervisory relationships, organizational culture, partnerships, campaigns and coalition work; understanding of how systemic racism affects present-day systems and ability to advance racial equity goals through communications strategies; demonstrated history of successfully intervening in problematic dynamics and deepening a racial justice approach within an organization, team, partnership or campaign; and commitment to Demos’ culture of respect, shared responsibility, and consistent feedback.
- Exceptional detail-oriented project management. You can delegate effectively, manage multiple priorities, organize a large volume of work and keep it flowing through the pipeline. You come to the table with ideas and a plan, and can make it happen through sound instincts and based on experience.
- Demonstrated communications experience in the field. You have successful experience in the communications field, either at a think-tank, advocacy organization or political campaign and are very familiar with the progressive field.
The most competitive candidates will also demonstrate one or more of the following skills, experiences, or perspectives:
- Strong Existing Network. You are known and respected in the progressive and communications community, bringing existing relationships that will facilitate expansion of our work.
- Experience with Core Demos Issues. You have expertise or experience within Demos’ core issue areas.
- Ability to Write Effectively for Broad Audiences. You have experience writing effectively for broad audiences through blogging, op-eds, reports, briefing papers, or other similar outlets.
Candidates need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for this position starts at $130,000 and is negotiable depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package which includes health insurance, dental and vision insurance, 10 paid holidays, 18 vacation days per year, 5 floating holidays per year, paid time off Dec. 25- Jan. 1, 12 sick days per year, and a voluntary 403b plan.
How to Apply: Upload a thoughtful cover letter and résumé. We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls or emails please.
Demos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.