Dēmos seeks a highly qualified and motivated Senior Counsel to work with the Demos Legal Team on its national program of litigation, legal strategies and policy development to further our goal of an America where all have an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy. The ideal candidate will have strong legal skills with demonstrated success in leading litigation or legal policy initiatives; have a passion for Demos’ issue areas and for advancing positive change through litigation and legal strategies; have a demonstrated ability to work well in a team setting; and an ability to bring a racial equity lens and an analysis of structural racism to Demos’ legal work and initiatives.
The Senior Counsel may work in either the New York, Washington, D.C., or Boston office of Dēmos.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conducting and managing litigation in pursuit of Demos’ goals, including developing, initiating, and leading new litigation (whether in an existing or new area of work);
- Conducting and assisting with legal and policy research and writing for diverse audiences to advance Demos’ goals, including policy analysis to develop legislative proposals;
- Working with state and local officials to improve compliance with civil rights laws and promote policy reform initiatives;
- Building coalitions with other organizations and advocates at the local, state and national level and with social scientists, scholars, private law firms and attorneys, and others in carrying out Demos’ goals;
- Engaging in public education and communication and representing Demos in public settings including public speaking engagements, conferences, media appearances, blog posts, op-eds and;
- Supervising and/or delegating work to more junior litigation staff and interns, and working closely with the Legal Team and entire Demos staff as needed, to advance Demos’ initiatives;
- Bringing a racial equity lens and an analysis of structural racism to Demos’ legal work and initiatives.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following experience and skills:
High level of legal skills. At least 8-10 years of legal experience, with demonstrated success in leading sophisticated litigation or legal policy initiatives, strong legal writing and research skills, achievement of high standards in quality of legal work, and increasing responsibility over course of legal career;
Passion for Demos’ mission and familiarity with core issues. Demonstrated commitment to Demos’ goals and mission, including experience or familiarity with one or more of the substantive areas of Demos’ work;
Ability to work successfully in team setting and supervise more junior legal staff. Experience in working as part of a collaborative team to advance organizational or institutional goals, demonstrated success in building respectful working relationships with colleagues and allies; and experience in supervising work of more junior colleagues and assisting more junior colleagues in developing their skills and knowledge of litigation process.
Strong racial equity analysis. Ability to clearly and consistently articulate a sophisticated understanding of racial equity and structural racism, and knowledge into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects; awareness of multiple group identities and their attendant dynamics, and ability to bring a high level of self-awareness, empathy, and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions.
The most competitive candidates will also demonstrate one or more of the following skills and experiences:
- Movement orientation. You bring a movement orientation to legal work, and have experience working with and building networks and relationships with other progressive organizations and advocates in one or more areas of Demos’ work.
- Public Presentation. You are an effective public speaker. You are experienced with presenting to groups and at conferences. You are comfortable with or willing to be trained to engage in media interviews or appearances on our issues.
- Ability to Write Effectively for Non-Legal Audiences. You have experience writing for effectively for non-legal audiences through blogging, op eds, reports or briefing papers, or other similar outlets.
- Bilingual and/or Bicultural: You bring bilingual language skills and/or bicultural fluency into your work.
Salary and Benefits: The starting salary for this position is $75,000- 100,000 and is commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 10 paid holidays per year, 20 vacation days per year, 5 floating holidays per year, 12 sick days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
How to Apply: Upload a résumé and thoughtful cover letter that speaks to how your experience and skill-set meet the qualifications for this role. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.