We're looking for a creative thinker, excellent manager and brilliant strategist who can grow and shape our communications team, effectively manage external communications consultants, and help our organization achieve major impact on key challenges facing our nation. This position will report to the Vice President, External Affairs and will work closely with our issue experts, thought leaders and advocates.
Objectives and Responsibilities:
- Lead the strategic development of communications priorities and opportunities to best amplify our work and impact the public narrative;
- Bring sophisticated framing and messaging skills and tools to our core areas of work, including racial equity;
- Lead and manage Communications Department of five to six staff, as well as manage and monitor the annual department budget and maintain ongoing evaluation and reporting on key benchmarks;
- Identify new strategies and innovative products for injecting our ideas in the public debate to help sustain and grow a progressive narrative;
- Elevate Demos' influence online and bring an inspiring and fresh perspective to digital and social media across all channels;
- Oversee the redesign of the Demos.org website;
- Expand Demos’ television and radio presence by cultivating relationships with key producers at cable and network news;
- Work with the Development Department on branding language and strategies, and on key organizational promotional materials, such as the annual report, brochure and website;
- Work with organizational allies to strategically align our goals and create an echo chamber for key messages and ideas;
- Serve as part of organization’s Senior Leadership Council charged with aligning our work for maximum impact.
- Dynamic leader. You know how to build a team, manage tough situations, encourage innovation, and work within an organization to set a vision and execute it effectively. You know how to achieve your goals and are particularly skilled at nurturing talent and supervising staff. Approachability and a sense of humor are a plus.
- Excellent strategic thinker. You set the standard for your team by following the daily news cycle and can lead the strategic development of our communications work for maximum impact. You can navigate the terrain of being a non-partisan and credible think-tank while advancing strong progressive values and policies.
- A Demonstrated Commitment to Racial Equity: You have a sophisticated understanding of how race dynamics impact supervisory relationships, organizational culture, partnerships, campaigns and coalition work, and can demonstrate a history of successfully intervening in problematic dynamics and deepening a racial justice approach within an organization or campaign.
- Deep knowledge of framing and messaging research. You are familiar with the leading research in the field drawing on cognitive and social science and have a real understanding about how people process and perceive information as a result.
- Exceptional detail-oriented project management. You can delegate effectively, manage multiple priorities, organize a large volume of work and keep it flowing through the pipeline. You come to the table with ideas and a plan, and can make it happen with support and good direction.
- Solid experience in the field. You’ve worked in communications for at least 7 years, either at a think-tank, advocacy organization or political campaign and are very familiar with the progressive field.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 20 vacation days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
How to Apply:
Upload a thoughtful cover letter that speaks to how your experience and skill-set meet the qualifications for this role, and include your salary requirements, and attach a résumé. We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.