Digital Graphic Designer
About Demos. Demos is a nonprofit public policy organization working for an America where we all have an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy. Founded in 2000, the organization is headquartered in New York City with offices in Washington, D.C. and Boston. Demos moves ideas powerful enough to improve the lives of everyday Americans through the full cycle of change. We champion over-the-horizon policy solutions, shift the narrative to clear the way for their acceptance, and advocate until they take effect. We use the right strategy for the right moment, whether it’s research or communications, supporting organizers or litigating. This commitment to the full cycle of change has resulted in real victories, from landmark credit card reforms to nearly 3 million new voter registration applications from low-income citizens. Throughout all of our work, Demos is advocating not just for people, but for the very idea of the people—of one nation, united by a shared fate.
Graphic Designer. We are looking for an experienced graphic designer to join our growing team. You will effectively translate our powerful research, litigation, campaign, and fundraising work into compelling visual content across our many digital and social platforms. You will design graphics that promote the Demos message, maximize audience engagement, and increase brand awareness, in some cases with a rapid turnaround.
If you’re a graphic designer who wants to use your talent in service of advancing the progressive agenda in our country, this opportunity is definitely for you. For this position, you must have hands-on and demonstrated graphic design experience, be highly creative, entrepreneurial, and energized by working with a team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design and produce digital and print materials, including but not limited to: graphics for email, social media, and web campaigns; brochures; signage; banners, etc.
- Provide audience-centered design expertise from concept to delivery on behalf of and in collaboration with Demos’ research, legal, campaign, and fundraising experts
- Work with the digital communications team to ensure graphic designs are optimized for target platforms, channels, and technologies—for example, meet the unique requirements of a target audience, social media platform, and/or mobile viewing experience
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- A strong visual storyteller with a clear editorial eye for imagery that builds on Demos’ brand and voice
- Expert in the use of Adobe Creative Suite (or equivalent) graphic design programs (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.)
- Possess hands-on graphic design experience including but not limited to social media assets, infographics, GIFs, and print materials
- Well-versed in current graphic design standards and best practices for digital and social media and comfortable adapting to new platforms, channels, and audiences as needed
- A minimum of two years of experience producing rapid response content for social media promotion of issues and campaigns
- Self-starting individual with proven ability to take ownership for results and driving change
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, prioritize assignments, and multi-task with successful delivery on deadlines
- A demonstrated understanding of the role that racial inequality plays in our society and in movement-building, and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage across difference
The most successful candidates will also have the following skills and experience:
- A general understanding of all aspects of digital communications strategies—from recognizing audiences to optimizing materials
- Good customer service, negotiation, and influencing skills
- Ability to work with a variety of staff with wide-ranging expertise and levels of experience
Candidates need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $60,000 - $70,000. We have a generous benefits package which includes health insurance, dental and vision insurance, 10 paid holidays, 20 vacation days per year, 5 floating holidays per year, 12 sick days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403(b) plan
How to Apply:
Send a thoughtful cover letter that speaks to how your experience and skill-set meet the qualifications for this role and attach a résumé and a portfolio of your work. Please upload materials at: http://demos.hiringthing.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Demos is an Equal Opportunity Employer—people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.