Senior Manager, Editorial Strategy
About Demos. Founded in 2000 and headquartered in New York City with offices in Washington, D.C. and Boston, Demos is a nonprofit public policy organization working for an America where we all have an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy. We move ideas powerful enough to improve the lives of everyday Americans through the full cycle of change. We champion over-the-horizon policy solutions, shift the narrative to clear the way for their acceptance, and advocate until they take effect. We use the right strategy for the right moment, whether it’s research or communications, supporting organizers or litigating. This commitment to the full cycle of change has resulted in real victories, such as landmark credit card reforms and nearly 3 million new voter registration applications from low-income citizens. Throughout all of our work, Demos is advocating not just for people but for the very idea of the people — of one nation, united by a shared fate.
Senior Manager, Editorial Strategy. This position oversees our editorial process, including our report production timeline, op-ed strategy, and the editorial calendar for PolicyShop (Demos’ blog). Overall, this position shepherds external-facing products from conception to publication and ensures that they meet Demos’ standards of quality and clarity, align with our organization’s branding, and fulfill organizational goals and objectives. The Senior Manager, Editorial Strategy is the central point person between program teams and the communication team on all products.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Creates and manages the editorial strategy and implements the release strategy for all publications, ranging from white papers and explainers to blog posts and op-eds.
- Coordinates production timelines for planning and completion of graphics/photo packages, collaborates with the content strategy, design, and editing attached to each project.
- Works with relevant project leads and authors to shape editorial products, and sets and enforce deadlines.
- In conjunction with the Director of Communications, serves as communications lead in research and network meetings specific to written content, and coordinates between programs and communications teams.
- Develops, manages, and drives the editorial calendar.
- Creates, implements, and enforces editorial guidelines, including editing most publications.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- A minimum of five years of hands-on experience in print editorial management.
- Demonstrated comfort with data-intensive publications and research.
- Exceptionally strong writing and editing skills, as well as effective verbal communication of information and ideas.
- Strong project management, budget, and organizational skills.
- Acute attention to detail and ability to understand and maintain editorial and journalistic standards are imperative.
- Proven ability to build and maintain positive and productive relationships.
- Solid team player, with a flexible, self-motivated and hands-on approach.
- A demonstrated understanding of the role that racial inequality plays in our society and in movement-building, and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage across difference.
Candidates need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $75,000- $90,000 and is commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package which includes health insurance, dental and vision insurance, 10 paid holidays, 20 vacation days per year, 5 floating holidays per year, 12 sick days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403(b) plan.
How to Apply:
Upload a thoughtful cover letter, résumé, and two writing samples. We are looking for an immediate hire, so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Demos is an Equal Opportunity Employer—people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.