Counsel. Dēmos seeks a highly qualified and motivated Counsel to work on litigation, policy development, advocacy, and research. The Counsel will primarily work in the area of voting rights and election reform, but may also work on Dēmos’ economic justice and money in politics portfolios.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advocating for progressive change through research, litigation, policy advocacy, and policy development;
- Analyzing the legality of policy proposals, drafting and delivering legislative testimony, and helping craft language for legislation or ballot initiatives;
- Conducting litigation in pursuit of Demos’ goals, including developing and initiating new litigation, discovery, motion practice, hearings, trials and appeals;
- Negotiating with state and local officials for settlement agreements, to improve compliance with voting rights laws, and to promote election reform initiatives;
- Building coalitions with organizations and advocates at the local, state and national level and with social scientists, private law firms and attorneys, and others in carrying out Demos’ goals;
- Writing for diverse audiences to advance Demos’ goals;
- Engaging in public education and communications, which may include public speaking engagements, media appearances, blog posts, op-eds, and conferences;
- Engaging in work-related travel as needed; and
- Other duties, as assigned by your supervisor, from time to time.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- You have a demonstrated understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society and in movement-building, and have demonstrated an ability to effectively work across difference.
- You have a J.D. degree and membership in a state bar, and three to five years of litigation experience, including proven ability to draft pleadings, draft and respond to discovery requests, and engage in motion practice.
- You have a strong commitment to excellence in legal research and writing, oral advocacy and other litigation skills.
- You have experience creating processes to identify potential clients and witnesses.
- Demonstrated ability to build trust and foster relationships with diverse communities.
The most successful candidates will also have some of the following skills and experience:
- Prior experience working on voting rights, electoral reform, or 1983 claims;
- Experience using an integrated advocacy approach to move progressive reforms forward; and
- Experience developing new litigation or developing new legal theories to challenge structural inequality.
Candidates need to bring a strong commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time and based in New York City.
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $60,000- $85,000 and is commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package which includes health insurance, dental and vision insurance, 10 paid holidays, 18 vacation days per year, paid time off between Dec. 25 and Jan. 1, 5 floating holidays per year, 12 sick days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
How to Apply: Upload a thoughtful cover letter, résumé, and writing sample (10 pages or less) reflecting your original work by clicking through the following link: http://demos.hiringthing.comWe are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.