Dēmos seeks a highly qualified Counsel with a sense of urgency around racial justice to join its legal team. The team maintains a national litigation docket and engages in policy advocacy in the pursuit of racial equity, a more inclusive democracy, and a more just economy. The Counsel will help advance Demos’ thriving voting rights and election reform work—litigating under the National Voter Registration Act and the Voting Rights Act, advocating pro-voter reforms like automatic voter registration, and combatting the corrupting influence of money in politics—and will help expand Dēmos’ work on economic and criminal justice. The legal team is focused on innovative legal strategies to make ours a more equal society. The new Counsel will be an integral part of its efforts.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advocating for progressive change through litigation, research, policy development, and advocacy;
- Conducting all stages of litigation in pursuit of Demos’ goals, including new case development, discovery, motions practice, hearings, trials, appeals, and settlement negotiations;
- Devising policy solutions that make sense given the legal landscape, drafting and delivering legislative testimony, and helping craft language for legislation and ballot initiatives;
- Building coalitions with organizations and advocates at the local, state, and national levels and with social scientists, private law firms and attorneys, and others;
- Writing for diverse audiences and translating complex legal issues in relatable terms;
- Engaging in public education and communications, which may include speaking engagements, media appearances, blog posts, op-eds, and conferences;
- Traveling for work as needed; and
- Other duties, as assigned by your supervisor, from time to time.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- You have a demonstrated understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society and in movement-building, and a demonstrated ability to work effectively across difference.
- You have a J.D. degree, membership in the state bar (or ability to become a member promptly), and experience with litigation tasks such as drafting pleadings, conducting discovery, or engaging in motions and/or trial practice.
- You have a strong commitment to excellence in legal research and writing, oral advocacy, and other litigation skills.
- You have a demonstrated ability to build trust and foster relationships with diverse communities.
The most successful candidates will also have the following skills and experience:
- Experience litigating civil rights claims, particularly in federal court;
- Experience using an integrated advocacy approach to move progressive reforms forward—meaning the strategic use of litigation, research, policy development, campaigns, and/or communications to bring about lasting change; and
- The ability to develop new litigation and devise creative legal theories to challenge structural inequality.
Candidates must bring a strong commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The position is full-time and based in New York City.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $60,000- $85,000 and is commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package which includes health insurance, dental and vision insurance, 10 paid holidays, 18 vacation days per year, paid time off between Dec. 25 and Jan. 1, 5 additional floating holidays per year, 12 sick days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403b plan.
How to Apply:
Upload a thoughtful cover letter, résumé, and writing sample (10 pages or less) reflecting your original work. We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.